Updated March 2, 2023 - The transition from ReggieNet to Canvas in time for the 2023-2024 academic year requires a great deal of planning, coordination, and testing. This timeline shows important milestones. The timing of goals may shift, depending on the challengnes and efficiencies discovered as the project matures.
- Background work continues connecting Canvas with ISU’s other systems.
- Testing continues to refine the process of migrating course content from ReggieNet to Canvas.
- Organizers select a small group of courses from a pool of volunteer instructors to pilot Canvas with students in the spring of 2023.
- Instructure (the makers of Canvas) provides “train the trainer” workshops to prepare instructional and technology staff to support the campus community.
Late Fall 2022
- Illinois State staff develop the first round of Canvas support materials for instructors and students.
- Illinois State staff provide pilot instructors with Canvas training in preparation for the Spring 2023 pilot program.
Early Spring 2023
- A sample Canvas course is made available for the campus community see the student experience on desktop and mobile devices.
- Instructure and technology staff conduct the first round of course content migration for requested courses from Spring 2021 through Fall 2022.
- Instructors will be asked to identify courses from before the spring of 2021 which need to be migrated from ReggieNet to Canvas.
- The Technology Support Center launches a “how to use Canvas” tutorial for students taking courses as a part of the pilot program.
- TSC staff include Canvas in the spring version of the Student Technology Orientation available to all students.
- The pilot program begins with a small population of students and instructors. Most Spring 2023 courses will still be taught using ReggieNet.
- Support staff continue to refine Canvas help materials based on ongoing feedback from the pilot program.
- All instructors gain access to view their migrated courses in Canvas around mid-semester.
- The Center for Integrated Professional Development offers Canvas workshops emphasizing Summer/Fall 2023 course prep.
- Instructors assigned to teach in the summer of 2023 will be asked to decide if they will utilize ReggieNet or Canvas.
Late Spring 2023
- Additional opportunities will be offered for course content migration, including courses from before Spring 2021.
- Special Project and Ongoing course site owners will be asked to identify courses which need to be migrated from ReggieNet to Canvas.
- Fall 2023 course site shells will be added to Canvas. No new courses will be created in ReggieNet.
- Pilot instructors will receive support for final grades submission.
- Summer course instructors (who opt to) begin teaching with Canvas.
- The Center for Integrated Professional Development offers a full slate of workshops to instructors for Fall 2023 course preparation.
- Instructors may request to have their Spring 2023 courses migrated from ReggieNet into Canvas, in addition to courses from before Spring 2021.
- Support staff makes training and support materials with revisions based on the spring pilot program available to the campus community.
- Technology Support Center staff engages in additional training based on the results of the spring pilot program to prepare for Fall 2023 support. Other IT staff will also undergo training to familiarize themselves with Canvas and the available resources.
- At the end of the summer term, ReggieNet will be switched to “read only” mode.
- All Illinois State University courses will use Canvas starting this semester.
- Special Project and Ongoing courses will be available to all ISU students, faculty, and staff in Canvas.
- ReggieNet remains available in “read-only” mode through the semester, allowing instructors to manually back up any last-minute data.
- Access to ReggieNet will end in December.